Lincoln Legacy - October, 2012
Here are some interesting facts about the history of the Lincoln School District.
Did you know?
- Lincoln Consolidated School District is the result of 13 one-room schools which consolidated in 1924.
- The schools were built between 1844 through 1899
- Lowden School – 1853 has been relocated to the elementary school campus – located beside Model and is used by the students and community
- Five of the schools – Tuttle, Island, Centennial,Morgan, and Allen are occupied as homes today
- All 13 school sites have been recognized by the Washtenaw Historic District Commission.
- The formation of the Lincoln School District was due mainly to the contribution of one man—Dr.Marvin Pittman.
- Dr. Pittman and Michigan State Normal College (now Eastern Michigan University) were looking for a rural school site for a laboratory school.
- On November 22, 1922 a meeting was held in Willis to introduce the consolidation plan to the community.
- On May 2, 1923 two votes were taken and approved for the consolidation and bond issue to finance construction of a new K-12 school.
- October 31, 1924 marked the opening of Lincoln Consolidated school in what is now Brick School.
But what should we call the new school district? Lincoln was not the first choice.